This inexpensive “saltwater converter” is super simple to use. In fact, you basically plug the unit into a power outlet and stick the chlorinator cell into the tub water.
4 Steps to Convert an Inflatable Hot Tub to Salt Water:
1. Drain the water from your inflatable spa. Then, clean and rinse the tub and let it dry.
2. Install the Saltron Mini Salt System by attaching the unit to the side of the spa. Then connect the electrode to the control box and add the required amount of salt to the water. (The best salt is a food-quality granulated salt, a 99.9% pure salt or solar salt.)
3. Allow the salt to dissolve and then test the water. Use a water testing kit to test the pH and total alkalinity levels in the water and adjust if needed.
4. Turn on the Saltron System and adjust the settings according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Let the system run at least 24 hours before you use the spa.
Routine Maintenance: Use a test strip kit to check the salt levels in the water once a week or so. If the levels are too low, add more salt. If they are too high, drain some of the water and refill with fresh water.
What’s Wrong with Chlorine?
Many people are attracted to salt water spas simply because they are trying to avoid chlorine. Chlorine is drying to skin, has a pungent oder, discolors swimsuits and gives some people red eyes.
According to SwimSpray.com, swimmers with chlorine sensitivities can experience itchy and irritated skin, runny noses, sneezing and even rashes. Why deal with these stressors when you are trying to relax in your spa?
What About a Salt Water Hot Tub?
A salt water spa offers many benefits that you may not know about, in addition to eliminating exposure to chlorine. I’ve listed them below. You’ll see that they all contribute to a relaxing spa-like experience.
1. The first thing that many people notice is softer skin when they exit the tub. Salt water is not drying like chlorine is, and it’s a great addition to a spa treatment whether you suffer from dry skin or not.
Some families who suffer from common or chronic skin conditions like eczema add water softening systems that add sodium to the water. Salt water treatments can be especially beneficial in areas which use hard water.
2. Warm salt water is helpful for easing muscle stiffness, helping relieve joint pain and decreasing swelling and inflammation due to intense exercise.
For example, athletes who workout regularly often incorporate some form of recovery and relaxation to enhance their performance and prevent injury (ie saunas, massage, float tanks or salt water spas). If you suffer from chronic pain or arthritis, warm salt water can often help.
The Lay-Z Spa Hawaii
Note: The saltwater inflatable spa below is no longer available. However, you can get the fresh water model and use the salt water system above to convert it.
The Lay-Z Spa Hawaii is an affordable and easy-to use inflatable spa that fits 4-6 people.
It has many similar features to other models, but it stands out because it comes with a built-in salt chlorinator system. Users simply add salt into the water and the electrostatic system converts it into hygienic, chlorinated water.
Set up is easy. No tools or professional installation are required. In fact, the filtration pump inflates the spa in under 10 minutes, and you can start filling the hot tub with water.
This Lay-Z Spa model has a dual-jet system which can be used separately or in combination with each other:
- 8 adjustable massage hydrojets
- 120 soothing bubble jets
High-Tech and Efficient Heating System:
The Hawaii spa features the Rapid Heating System plus an inflatable lid, a cushioned floor mat and an exterior cover which all serve to insulate the tub when not in use.
This makes it more efficient and keeps operating costs lower. The spa can also be used indoors during cold winters to lower the heating cost even more.
In addition, Bestway has added a new timer feature which enables users to program the water heater in advance. Schedule your salt water hot tub to turn on or off at a certain time or interval so the temperature can be perfectly hot when you want it to be.
This features helps to minimize heating costs while also making the inflatable spa effortless to use and enjoy.
This hot tub does have a square shape rather than circular. Some owners prefer the square shape, as it fits better into corners on decks or patios.
Dimensions: 71″ long x 71″ wide x 28″ tall
Weight (empty): 76.5 lbs
Water Capacity (80%): 210 gallons
Operates on 120V household current